2019 was an exciting year at the Napa Medical Research Foundation, filled with significant accomplishments, including medical breakthroughs, scientific discoveries, publishing, teaching and product development. We also launched our first community outreach, the Vineyard Worker Health Program.
During this past year, we were invited to deliver three separate presentations related to our research at seven regional and national conferences.
In conjunction with the Bodor Clinic, we participated in mentoring eight fellows and three medical residents. In addition, we applied for a patent for intellectual property and product development.
In 2019 we shared our findings with the medical community through our writing, which included publishing two book chapters:
- Bodor, M, Colio S, Khan J, Raj M: “Ultrasound-guided Elbow Injections.” In: Peng P, editor. Ultrasound for Interventional Pain Management – An Illustrated Procedural Guide. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 2019.
- Bodor M, Dregalla R, Uribe Y: “PRP: History, Mechanism of Action, Preparation and Clinical Applications.” In: Manchikanti L and Navani A. Essentials of Regenerative Medicine in Interventional Pain Management, 2019.
We also completed two journal articles which are currently undergoing peer review:
- “Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells Respond Differentially to Platelet Preparations and Synthesize Hyaluronic Acid in Nucleus Pulposus Extracellular Matrix,” submitted to Spine Journal.
- “Resolution of Vaccination-Related Shoulder Dysfunction following Ultrasonic Aspiration,” submitted to Vaccine.
NMRF 2020 GOALS
Looking forward, we aspire to propel the momentum of our research from the past year. Our goals include continuing our five Institutional Review Board (IRB) studies, as well as other clinical outcome studies, documenting and publishing our findings, continuing to look for new ways to use regenerative medicine and non-invasive procedures to keep our community healthy, and sharing our knowledge with the world. Specific goals include:
- Complete 2 new peer-reviewed clinical journal articles, one on a novel treatment for chronic heel pain in children, and the other on the most precise technique for treating the most common cause of neck pain in adults.
- IRB approval and initiation of a study with UC Davis on healing of anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries in the knee using a percutaneous ultrasound-guided bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) injection technique.
- Ongoing studies of outcomes following ultra-minimally invasive carpal tunnel release and treatment of low back pain with PRP and BMAC.
- Ongoing work on IRB-approved studies, case studies and lab projects.
- Completion of 2 new manuscripts relating to NMRF Lab Studies: “Effect of Local Anesthetics on Platelet Function” and “Comparison of Platelet Quantification Techniques”
- Continued work with our Vineyard Worker Health Program.
2020 promises to be a productive year for us and we are enthusiastic about advancing our research, discovering new treatments and improving the quality of life in our community and beyond.